If you’ve been going to Lithe for any period of time, you’ve probably seen a red-head with a curious and aloof smile plucking away at an iMac, distributing meals plans, handing out locker keys and guiding people to their proper studios. This is Johanna, or Jo Jo Ma as I affectionately call her (in my mind) as she really is a young mother-hen for all us Lithers--telling us for the 100th time that yes, you need gloves for Waspie, No she hasn’t found your water bottle (but please take one of the million others laying around) and Yes, there is room available in A-List Abs at 5:15 in Old City. But who is this woman who pops in and out of our classes and always answers all of my inane questions via email? Willing to unveil a little of the mystery, Johanna shares 25 things we don’t know about her.
1. I never think anything is spicy - a couple years ago, I won $1000 gift certificate in a spicy food eating contest.
2. Despite hating most math, I'm secretly a statistics nerd, and sometimes think about taking a stats class for fun so I can be even more of one.
3. (I've never admitted this) I keep track of random things that I do. For example, all the books I read in a year (my record was 150 in 2009), the push-ups I do (2,505 in the last 6 months) or miles I've run (374 since June).
4. I HATE the cold, but I love snow.
5. I am incapable of abbreviating or condensing my thoughts, and thus, write the longest text messages in history.
6. I grew up without cable (and barely watching any TV), and am completely clueless about all pop culture pre-2000
7. I love salads (and basically all vegetables in general), and have at least one virtually every day.
8. ....at the same time, I also love sugar, and have some of that (swedish fish! frosted flakes! icing! cotton candy!) virtually every day as well.
9. I grew up in North Carolina and somehow escaped a Southern accent (although, you might catch me saying y'all).
10. I am theoretically training for my first marathon in March. (**By theoretically...I am training for it. I'm just too terrified to admit yet that I might actually go through with it)
11. I grew up in gymnastics, and while I don't know that I could even do a back handspring anymore, I think I'll always consider a gym my second home.
12. I'm a natural blond, but I always hated it. Red is much more appropriate for me.
13. I'm hands down the most stubborn person I've ever met.
14. I'm insanely clumsy. I fall down while walking (a lot), run into things, and drop everything. My phone has been cracked for months because it seems silly to replace it when I already know I'll just drop it again.
15. Despite my many years in a gym, I always hated (was terrified of) all types of cardio. I took a chance on Twiggy one day, and now all my favorite classes are the cardio ones, and I'm a 4+ day-a-week runner.
16. I lived all over Philadelphia - North, South, West, and Center City before landing in Fishtown almost 4 years ago.
17. I love heights - I'll climb any ladder/tree/roof within striking distance, and last year went skydiving.
18. I can't wait until it's warm enough to start riding my bike to work again.
19. I am NOT a morning person. I think those who have known me for a while are still baffled that I manage to get up a couple days a week to be at the studio for 6am's.
20. I'm a huge Duke basketball fan, and while I can rarely sit still for a whole movie, I could (and have) spent entire days watching college basketball.
21. I believe my certification has lapsed, but I was certified as a USTA referee for youth tennis matches. It was surprisingly fun.
22. I'm generally baffled by what to do with all kids other than my nephews (3 year-old Jamie & 6 year-old Graham).
23. I love history, and read about it all the time...and then get frustrated when I can't remember ALL of it.
24. Aside from workout/running clothes, I live in skirts and dresses and couldn't even tell you the last time I wore a pair of jeans.
25. I have never cried during a movie.
As a person who cries during Google commercials (the internet IS what you make of it), I could take a page from Johanna! Number 25 is quite an accomplishment. There’s no way she’s seen A League of Their Own or My Girl. Johanna, are you telling me you didn’t break down when Veda Sultenfuss threw herself on her best friend’s coffin in her dad’s funeral home because he was killed by a swarm of bees while trying to retrieve her favorite mood ring??? “Thomas J! Thomas J! He needs his glasses! He can’t see without his glasses!” I might cry right now. My hats off to you lady.
Stay tuned to the blog next week, where I’ll tell you all about my experience on the Lithest Level 3 Detox plan, as well as many more 25 Things to come.
See you in class!
Image of Johanna Goode in Lithe Wear's Hot-Stepper Dress via Dom