7 FIT HIP HEALTHY FRIDGE MAKEOVER TIPS! 19 Nov 2014
Many of us are in the midst of Thanksgiving prep, which is always a crazy time of the year. During the holidays my fridge gets out of control really quickly. And when it does, I totally lose track of what I have in there. I also lose a little inspiration to Eat Lithe (Lithed Up salads, smoothies, spa water, etc.) which makes me feel great and keeps my energy levels high. This week is the perfect time to tackle your refrigerator and give it a good makeover pre-holiday. You'll feel better, and it will inspire you to eat healthier too.
1. Clean House. Get rid of limp veggies and check expiration dates on all of your condiments.
2. Prep! Take fruit and veggies out of plastic bags and cut them up so that they are ready. Arrange salads and vegetables so you can clearly identify what you have on-hand.
3. Invest in clear containers
. I like to cut up melon, pineapple, and berries and store them in these. Because glass containers are expensive, I hesitated for years but most of my vegetables and salad greens are neatly displayed in them now. In addition to being freezer, microwave and dishwasher-safe, the thick tempered glass makes them quite durable and chip-resistant, and I love the fact that you can clearly see the container's contents.
When not in use, the containers and lids nest perfectly inside each other, and when they are in use, the square containers fit neatly side by side, maximizing precious fridge/freezer space.
4. Be an Herbigirl! Fresh herbs add so much flavor to salads, soups, smoothies, and are believed to be more beneficial when enjoyed fresh rather than dry. Every week, I try to invest in a few different varieties and store them in pretty glasses in my fridge. Right now, I’m enjoying lemon balm and mint.
5. Leftovers up front. In the past, leftovers quickly got lost in the back of my refrigerator. Now, I make an effort to keep them in the front (in my glass containers) where my family can see them. I really get creative with my leftovers - I like to double the recipe for quinoa salad with carrots, parsley, and basil and toss it with a baby spinach, make a quinoa frittata, or tuck it into a wrap.
6. Spa Water. Water keeps your body hydrated, your skin glowing, and revs up your metabolism.
7. Organize your condiments. All the different varieties of dressing, mustard, tamari, vitamins and hot sauce were exploding out of my fridge. So, I took a hard look at what I had and considered whether I really used it and enjoyed it. If not, I tossed it.
Image via Lauren