Lithers, here are some moves that you know well! Check out Lauren's exclusive sculpting workout for Prevention.
Image via Prevention
Our next Lithe Mama is Simone Nadav. What makes her awesome? For starters, not even midnight nursing sessions can deter her from getting to classes first thing in the morning.
Children: Bayla, 3.5 and Lev, 16 months
Tell us your Lithe story: I was looking around for early morning classes for awhile and knew I didn't want to go to a gym. I Lithed here and there before I got pregnant with Bayla. About 7 months after she was born, I started going 4-5 times a week and continued up until I was 35 weeks pregnant with Lev.
How do you fit it into your schedule? I always go to 6AM classes. Usually, I can sneak out while my children and husband are sleeping (unless I step on a creaky floorboard). And if I'm really lucky, they're still snoozing when I get back. Plus, I don't have to pay for a sitter.
Sounds like you're hooked: Definitely. I've considered moving to the suburbs, but I think I would miss Lithe too much. And the 6AM students at Old City are a tight knit group. Many of us have been going for years.
Anything that you did to really get your body in gear post-baby? The challenge this past October helped me lose that last five pounds. The sculpting classes helped build all the muscles I need to pick my babies up out of their cribs. I'm also a big believer in eating clean and I juice every day.
So, chicken fingers aren't in the rotation at your house? Luckily, my kids eat whatever I eat. I cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner for them. But ... I don't hesitate to eat sweets every now and again.
Happy Tuesday! It's cardio day at Lithe, so it’s time to kick up the cardio and sweat it out. Cardio is one of the most important things you can do for your body. Not only does it make a difference on the inside (improving your cardiovascular health), but you will see results on the outside, too (especially if you stick to it 3-5 times a week).
I think that one of the toughest aspects of Lithe is getting your cardiovascular stamina up to par or back up to par after some time off. As a newbie, you may find yourself feeling defeated trying to finish our hour-long classes numerous times a week and devoting some time to learning our Cardio-Cheer-Sculpting choreography. You can do it! Here are some tips for safe, efficient and effective cardio:
1. Be a 6-7AMer! I suggest doing cardio in the morning before your first meal. Your body is most likely to use fat as the energy source because your glycogen stores are depleted.
2. Protect your feet, but not with sneakers (unless you have a foot injury). We barefoot train at Lithe. Why? It makes you stronger from head to toe and simply builds a better, stronger, leaner body. If you have a foot injury you should wear a studio sneaker and avoid stilletto. You want to work correctly, stay on a mat and NEVER over-bounce on the balls of your feet. Our feet work instinctively, but to prevent stress fractures, shin splints and plantar issues, stay on your mat, use your quads to launch a jump, keep a gentle point to your ankle, and then roll through the forefoot and heel. Your goal is to "sponge" and not bounce. That "up" energy should be an illusion. Your entire body is active, but you're working down into the ground. Work harder by getting low and grounded, rather than bouncing high and beating up your feet.
3. Keep your shoulders open, depressed, and lift your chest. This instantly engages and elongates your abs.
4. Activate your arms. Think about how you punch out those perfect sharp high V's and low V's ... Do this with every movement and feel your heart rate climb!
5. Don't stop as soon as your heart rate starts to really climb. So many people get nervous once their heart rate gets in the zone. Breath, stretch, and shake.
6. If you're DIY, Make a killer cardio playlist on your iPod to get you through the workout. Pick out your favorite songs that you love listening to so you forget about the time.
My favorite Lithe cardio workouts are Rock Steady, Higher Power, Freestyle and Spirit. What are yours?
Image of Lithe Instructor Liz Galbally wearing Lululemon via Dom
Ready to kick it into high gear with another 20 classes in 25 days during the second most induglent time of the year? The #LitheEndlessSummer Challenge begins on Monday, July 14th 2014!
Sign up today through Saturday, July 12th. How will we keep you motivated? Doing what we do best - Banding together in true Lithe fashion! We'll keep you inspired with a Spirit Circle, weekly emails, our social media hashtag calendar, more video content via LitheTV, before & after measurements and photos, recipes, and tips from Lithe creator, Lauren Boggi!
Dear Lauren and the Lithe Community,
This summer, I wanted to embark on an introspective journey towards self-care. Chronicling my journey through the hashtag, #sexysalubrioussummer, my goal initially was to reclaim a sense of worth. My friend cajoled me to join Lithe after I regaled her with stories about my struggles with vulnerability and courage. Experiencing searing emotional pain from the effects of love and loss, I also wanted to exert and expend my energy into something new. Lithing has not only become a physical exercise, but an exercise that has helped me to embrace vulnerability. My goading anxiety about being the only male in classes most times has slowly diminished because of the inspiring inclusive community. I am realizing how much strength I actually have, and for the first time in years, I can look in the mirror, like what I see and affirm that I have inherent worth. The empowering ethos that is Lithe is incredibly palpable. I always look forward to the conversations with staff, instructors, and Lithe sisters/brother (hi Jonathan!). Lithers exude such grace.
Liz and Marisa, it is always an absolute pleasure to be in your classes. As much as I want to scream expletives because of the burn, your careful guidance and reassurance makes it all worth it. After only about a month of classes, I am noticing my physique is more toned. I am eating healthier, feeling more energetic, and appreciating all that is me.
While I will be moving to Minneapolis this fall to pursue my doctorate, I will still be frequenting Lithe when I can. I am always deterred by the angry personas of fitness that get reverberated by the media. Exercise does not need to be a hyper-aggressive or competitive endeavor. At Lithe, we all attune to the common goal of reaching our optimal selves. Lauren, I can't thank you enough for developing such a graceful and beautiful outlet for me, as Dr. Brene Brown says, to dare greatly.
With so much love and care,
Check out Lithers Holly and Carolyn before and after the T-30 Challenge. Holly really upped the ante with healthier food choices and increased studio time. Carolyn is a mom of three who never "worked out" prior to Lithe, and although we can't see her truly amazing results becuase she was so heavily clothed, she was swimming in her clothes (look at the way her pants are draping on her legs!). Twenty Lithe workouts in 25 days + eating Lithe = amazing results. Congrats, ladies!
Images via Lauren
Check out petite powerhouses Lauren, Rebecca, and Lindsay after the T-30 Challenge. Twenty Lithe workouts in 25 days + eating Lithe = amazing results. Congrats, ladies!
Images via Lauren
All imagery and montages on this blog are created solely for Lithe Method® and the Fithiphealthy® blog. Our photos are not stock photos. The women that you see on our site are Lithe Instructors and Lithe clients. We ask that you do not copy or use our imagery or our montages without permission and all photos must also be credited and linked to our original post.
We love reader comments, but all inappropriate comments, self-promotional spam, or other items unrelated to the post will be deleted.
Lithe Method®, FitHipHealthy®, We Heart Your Heart®, Higher Power Band System®, Lithe Foods® and Lithe Wear® are registered trademarks of Lithe®, Inc. All rights reserved.